“How long does a newborn session take?” tends to be one of my most frequently asked questions. I think new parents, especially, are worried about the length of time a newborn session could take, not to mention leaving their precious new bundle of joy in the hands of someone that’s not them for an extended amount of time.
I get it. I totally get it. But remember, as a newborn photographer, I do this several times a year. I learn as I go and I try to make the process as easy as possible.
I remember being that first time momma. It can be scary. You’re not even fully adjusted to your new life yet. You’ve more than likely barely made it out of the house and if you have, it’s to a baby appointment. That’s why I try to make this process so easy for you.
So, how long does it really take for a newborn session?
A typical newborn session lasts around 2-3 hours. That includes arriving, getting baby ready, taking all pictures and leaving. When I get the question “how long does a newborn session take?” and I tell them 2-3 hours, more often than not, their eyes widen and I can tell they’re already panicking. However, there is absolutely no reason for that! My job is to make it an enjoyable experience for new parents.
There are several factors that could impact the length of the newborn session.
Let’s be honest, newborns are unpredictable. Maybe they are fussy. Maybe you have to change their diaper during the session or a feeding time is due. IT IS OKAY! Photographers take this into consideration and are aware that these types of things can happen.
There are several factors that also impact the photographer.
- Getting baby adjusted to a new place.
- Placing baby in different positions.
- Placing baby in different outfits.
- Comforting baby, if needed.
- Posing with parents.
- Posing with siblings.
All of these factors can play a role in the amount of time your newborn session will take.
How can you prepare for the newborn session to ensure it’s quick and easy?
First off, there’s never going to be a guarantee that the session will be quick and easy. Like I said before, babies are so unpredictable but I do have some recommendations on what you can do to help.
- Schedule the newborn session for a morning time. Typically babies are happiest during this time.
- Try to keep baby awake an hour or two prior to the session. This should make your little one extra sleepy for the session.
- Feed baby right before you leave for your session. This allows baby to have a full tummy to help make them even more sleepy. (Aren’t you always sleepy after getting your belly full?)
- Change baby’s diaper right before coming.
So, how long does a newborn session take?
Typically 2-3 hours but it really depends on your baby. And that’s okay! Consider my preparation tips and remember, newborn photographers deal with this on a weekly basis. I try to make the experience as easy and stress free as possible for those new parents!